Healthy Gums, Healthy Smiles At Southern Cross Smiles (Docklands)!
The bacteria in our mouth can help in the formation of plaque, which when hardens forms tartar and can only be cleaned/removed by a dental professional
Gum conditions can be described as follows:
Plaque and tartar can be harmful to the gums in the long run. The bacteria can cause inflammation of the gums and cause swelling and bleeding. This condition is described as gingivitis. There is no bone or tissue loss in this condition and can usually be reversed by good oral hygiene and a regular clean by your dentist
Gingivitis when neglected and not treated for a prolonged period of time can cause the gums to recede and form pockets which get infected. This can lead to bone and tissue loss which make the teeth become loose and need to be extracted.
Factors causing Gum Disease
- Diabetes: People with diabetes are at higher risk at developing gum disease
- Smoking: It is a big contributing factor in gum disease and can actually slow down the healing process
- Medications. Some medications can restrict the flow of saliva in the mouth. Saliva provides protection to the teeth.</s
- Hereditary Condition: Genetics can play a role in development of gum disease as well. Brush your teeth twice a day (with a fluoride toothpaste)
Steps to prevent Gum disease
- Daily flossing
- Come to us for a regular scale and clean (6 monthly recommended)
- Eating the right food and lifestyle changes
- Quit smoking
Our expert dentists in Docklands specialise in teeth cleaning and root planing (clean and remove germs and bacteria for rough spots of the tooth)
Make an appointment at Southern Cross Smiles for any concerns with your gums and maintain a great oral hygiene. Call us on 9670 0321 or book online !